Odroid Project Complete! Despite Hiccups A-Plenty…

Hurdles aplenty, but resolutions and understandings have followed for my Odroid project at work.

Three weeks overdue, I have finally been able to complete my work project. We have been plagued with supply and quality control issues, which have yielded intersting conclusions; the likes of which I will discuss here. As mentioned in previous posts, I have been using a switched mode step-down voltage regulator so I can power a 12Vdc screen adapter board and a 5Vdc Raspberry Pi alternative, Hardkernel’s Odroid C1+.

In the photo’s above, you can see the power boards encased in heatshrink tubing. This is mostly a consideration to isolate a 12Vdc connection bridging on to the Odroid’s circuitry. But what’s most interesting is the display panels and their relevant adapter boards. Originally, we placed an order for twelve of these boards; but they were all faulty. We needed to program the boards for the displays we were using, but the programmer could not properly detect these boards. Which was strange, as I know the programmer works on this type of board, as we have others. So as we dealt with this supplier, we decided to order another ten boards from a different supplier. This supplier declared they tested every board before shipping and programmed the boards for our screen type.

Two weeks over-due and the replacement boards arrive. *PHEW*, at last! …But wait! Four of the new boards don’t appear to be working! Our original displays were 17.3 inch AU Optronics displays; six of the new boards worked. I was storing these known, tested AU Optronics screen in a different, less frequently used part of the warehouse until I was ready to build each unit. Meanwhile, our supplier of LCD panels saw fit to send the wrong brand of screens for half of the batch. For space constraints, I kept these by me desk until I needed to deal with them. At our suppliers request, I decided to test the “faulty” display boards; and out of pure laziness, I picked up a Chimei Innolux screen, rather than the testes AU Optronics displays. Interestingly, the supposedly faulty display boards worked perfectly. Further testing revelaed that six of the ten display boards worked on the AU Optonics AND the Chimei Innolux  displays, but the rogue four would only work on the Chimei’ displays.

02

This image is the same setup as the one above, but the screen cables are swapped. The display on the left is made by AU Optronics, and the Chimei Innolux is on the right. The screen adapter board on the left works with both brands of screen, but the board on the right is one of four that will work on the Chimei Innolux screens, but not on the AU Optronics screens. Needless to say, these bizarre discrepencies caused a few headaches, consumed higher than average amounts of coffee and resulted in significantly raised post-work drinkies sessions on one’s lonesome or otherwise.

With that said, if our screen supplier hadn’t screwed up, we would have had to delay completion of the project by ‘X’ more time so I believe all can be forgiven in this circumstance.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s